Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The SM100 2010 is in the books! A fine & dusty event. The weather was beautiful. Chilly starting temps in the 40's gave way to sunny skies and mid-70's. I had a great ride and left plenty of room for improvement in 2011. Twelve hours even, shaving a pitiful ten minutes off last years misery. Felt pretty good all day, even when getting skunked by chicks, singlespeeds, chicks on singlespeeds, tandems, the guy with the prostethic leg, 15 year old kids, etc. Chapeau to all of them!

For me, 11 hours was the cutoff between finishing and surviving. So I survived to ride another year. I have a laundry list of excuses, which I am saving for next year!

The River City was well represented. Scottie D. nailed it with at 10:10, one spot off the podio. T. Green had good time. Joe Fish was, well, Joe Fish. Chad, Jeremy, myself, Foster, Big Leeger, Metro & Spike all trickled in before dark. I took advantage of my friends wherever I could. Dennis Throckmorton, got your shoes off at the aid station? Foghorn attacks. Foster, pants down in the woods? Foghorn attacks.

Also huge props to the volunteer corps, without which, Chris Scott may have to get a legitimate job. Peter was there in the morning, and Amy Waters snapped the photo above of me eating pizza at mile 75/hour 9.5. Good thing she was there, cause I was right clueless at that point.

In the end, an elite selection finished Stage 2, polishing off the kegs and moving into the emergency stash after the midnight hour.

4 comments:

  1. Well played Senior Foghorn. If you knew I was busy in the woods you would have... heckled me.
    Good times to you & all of the RVA crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I merely followed the Foghorn Training Manual i.e., ride more, ride more often and occasionally make your riding partners puke...

    ReplyDelete