Sunday, April 11, 2010

2010 Ferry-Roubaix: Results, Recap, Reflections

And so it were! On a beautiful, glorious saturday morn, five riders rolled out from the line, with one jumping into the ride at mile 10, and one jumping out mile 85. The peloton worked well together all the way to the ferry, scouting some new routes along the way. We hit the Colonial Parkway and TB really started to soften up some folks. A coffee break hiding amongst the tourists of Colonial Williamsburg was well deserved. We rode all day across the back roads of New Kent, Charles City, Prince George, Surry and York Counties, and it came down to the final 50K between Scottie, Brown, Lang and Foster. Snowman felt the heat and opted to pace it out, while the late entrant, mystery-man Frank abandoned. We ran elbow to elbow through the first two gravel sections. I put in what I thought was a pretty honest pull, then Scottie and TB started to tighten the screws a little. Foster and I could not hang on in the headwind. I went into a dark place. I slowed down to eat, but never stopped. I finally caught Foster on Criss Cross Road with a flat. And luckily for him, I had a pretty kick-ass pump. As the rest of the course was my bike route to work, I felt a bit of a home field advantage. I knew exactly where to get out of the saddle on the last hill and I never sat back down. Holy shit! 120 miles. The longest ride of my life. Words may never do it justice.

Huge props to those who helped make it happen: Shannon, Glen, Sam, Blythe

1. Sunny Scottie D. (9.12.30)
2. Tony Brownclown (same time)
3. uncle foghorn (9.30.35)
4. MTN Foz (9.31.20)
5. Snowman (something like 10)
Frank (85m,8.04)


Fans came out to support their favorite riders.


5 toed the line.


New Kent bike shop.


Approaching the Benjamin Harrison Bridge.


"Hit neutral in the tail of a comet, feel the vortex pull my weight..." -Clutch


We finally figured out where he came from, but we couldn't get them to take him back.


A beautiful day on the water.


The road to Roubaix. This replica is autographed by Bob Roll. Sweet!


Foster finds out what the min 25c tire recommendation is all about. Foghorn gets a much needed break to assist and take photos.


Finishers treats.

2 comments: